DOC BC/ YT/ NWT opens call for submissions to its second Breakthrough Program, sponsored by Creative BC
Prepare to pitch for development funds and a development deal for your project. Sell your project to prestigious festival markets like Hot Docs International Documentary Festival and beyond! Six emerging and high-potential producers will be selected for this rigorous and intimate market-preparation course where they’ll develop a successful festival strategy and hone their project pitches and materials to prepare for festivals and markets like the Deal Maker program at Hot Docs.
These sessions will be run online via Zoom for the 2022 edition.
Selected filmmakers will get exclusive access:
For four months leading up to Hot Docs, bi-weekly sessions with acclaimed documentary filmmakers and project-specific feedback from funders, broadcasters, distributors, and peers. As well as workshops, where participants will hone their trailers and work on their pitch materials with story editors, producers, and pitch specialists.
- Free one-year DOC membership with all its benefits, including free access to other DOC events.
- The Breakthrough Alumni Network, a private group where alumni share opportunities & information.
- Digital pass to the 2022 Hot Docs Film Festival (attend industry sessions, network with key industry professionals, set up meetings to sell their projects, and connect and collaborate with peers.)
To apply candidates must:
- Person submitting the project must be a resident of BC, Yukon, or Northwest Territories who has resided in the territories for a minimum of one year.
- Be documentary filmmakers who have at least one producing or directing credit; or who have a comparable level of industry success and experience in the arts.
- Have a slate of projects in development (at least one, can be features, shorts, or series).
- Be able to attend the following: the Breakthrough Program (January – April); the majority of the online edition of the Hot Docs Festival ( including the virtual Forum) and all training during the program.
The following information is required to apply:
- In one to three pages, give us a summary of your industry and work experience, your educational background and past professional development, or mentorship programs. Please note that many past applicants choose to submit a CV plus a list of broadcast credits and/or a filmography. This section should be used to convey your relevant experience to the jury, so please share your accomplishments with us!
- In no more than one page, tell us why you would benefit from the Breakthrough Program and what you hope to achieve by attending a pitch session such as the Hot Docs Festival and Forum, or equivalent. Why would this program be timely for your career as a producer or director intending to produce your next project? Tell us about how you intend to interact with the other participants in the program to build community and how you have built a community in your career thus far.
- In no more than one page, tell us briefly about the main project you are intending to workshop during this program. If available, please include sizzle, trailer, visual elements/references and/or websites you have.
- In no more than one page, if you have a second or third in development, you may tell us about them. We encourage you to include links to any trailers, visual elements/references and/or websites you have. However, this is not mandatory.
Please note: Non-members are required to pay a registration fee of $25 + tax and will be asked to join DOC if accepted into the program. Your membership fee will be included in the program. Questions? Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.