DOC BC YT NT opens call for submissions to its THIRD Breakthrough Program, sponsored by Creative BC.
Prepare to pitch for development funds and a development deal for your project. Sell your project to prestigious festival markets like Hot Docs International Documentary Festival and beyond! Six emerging and high-potential producers will be selected for a rigorous and intimate market-preparation course where they’ll hone their project pitches and materials to prepare for festivals and markets like the Deal Maker program at Hot Docs.
Emerging producers will learn to pitch for development funds by meeting key industry mentors at each session such as broadcasters, distributors, and story and trailer editing consultants. They will be supported to workshop their pitch and encouraged to apply to festival markets like Hot Docs International Documentary Festival and beyond!
Awards & Prizes
Selected filmmakers will get exclusive access:
For four months leading up to Hot Docs, bi-weekly sessions with acclaimed documentary filmmakers and project-specific feedback from funders, broadcasters, distributors, and peers. As well as workshops, where participants will hone their trailers and work on their pitch materials with story editors, producers, and pitch specialists.
1. Free one-year DOC membership with all its benefits, including free access to other DOC events.
2. The Breakthrough Alumni Network, a private group where alumni share opportunities and information.
3. Digital pass to the 2023 Hot Docs Film Festival (attend industry sessions, network with key industry professionals, set up meetings to sell their projects, and connect and collaborate with peers).
Rules & Terms
The following information is required to apply:
1. In one to three pages, give us a summary of your industry and work experience, your educational background and past professional development, or mentorship programs. Please note that many past applicants choose to submit a CV plus a list of broadcast credits and/or a filmography. This section should be used to convey your relevant experience to the jury, so please share your accomplishments with us!
2. In no more than one page, tell us why you would benefit from the Breakthrough Program and what you hope to achieve by attending a pitch session such as the Hot Docs Festival and Forum, or equivalent. Why would this program be timely for your career as a producer or director intending to produce your next project? Tell us about how you intend to interact with the other participants in the program to build community and how you have built a community in your career thus far.
3. In no more than one page, tell us briefly about the main project you are intending to workshop during this program. If available, please include sizzle, trailer, visual elements/references and/or websites you have.
4. In no more than one page, if you have a second or third in development, you may tell us about them. We encourage you to include links to any trailers, visual elements/references and/or websites you have. However, this is not mandatory.
To submit follow the link, register, and submit via FilmFreeway. *If you have any trouble with the FilmFreeway platform or need to send us more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.